Thursday, May 20, 2010

Chana Masala [Indian Chick Peas]



I'm sharing an *awesome* recipe for Chana Masala below. This recipe is based on a recipe given to me by my sister's friend Jason. [Thanks Jason!!! :) ]

I love Indian food [LOVE IT!] but often find it too difficult to make, requiring more esoteric ingredients and time than I really have.

However, THIS recipe satisfies my craving for Indian food while at the same time being manageable and using only ingredients that you actually CAN find in the average grocery store.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

One word of warning - if you make this "as is", it is VERY spicy. I love that, but if you don't want it very hot and spicy, I suggest only using 2 peppers and possibly leaving out the red pepper flakes entirely. As is, it has a beautiful heat if you love that sort of thing!

Chana Masala

2 Tbsp. olive oil

1 Tbsp. Cumin

large onion (diced)

2 Tbsp. grated ginger

3 cloves minced garlic

5 chopped cayenne peppers (or 4 jalapenos)

3-4 tomatoes (diced)

1 tsp. Tumeric

1 tsp. Coriander

1 Tbsp. Garam masala

1 tsp. salt

2 bay leaves

1 tsp. crushed red pepper

3/4 cup of plain yogurt

2 14-oz. cans of Garbanzo beans(chickpeas)

1-2 cups of boiled diced potatoes (optional)

sprigs of fresh cilantro (optional as garnish)





Heat oil in a deep pan, add cumin and toast briefly in the oil.

Add onion and saute until starting to brown.

Then add ginger, garlic, and peppers. Stir and simmer for one minute.

Then add tomatoes and stir until getting a consistent paste.

Add tumeric, coriander, crushed red pepper, garam masala, salt, and bay leaves, and yogurt.

Simmer for a few minutes and then add Garbanzo beans (and potatoes, if using).

Simmer for ten minutes and allow to thicken a few minutes after turning heat off.

Garnish with cilantro and serve with Basamati rice or flat bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment